The Rational Wiki defines Poe's Law as follows:
Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.
Of course it works both ways, often I stumble over religious material so insane that I believe it to be parody, but which is, in fact, genuine. For example here are some church websites. I should warn you that they are both visual and noisy. But it still won't prepare you for what you are about to see. They are amazingly awesome.
- International Congress of Church and Ministers — A site for ensuring the tax free status of churches with the IRS.
- Evangel Cathedral — An evangelical Cathedral.
- KK Mime — Evangelical Ministers who minister via the medium of yes, you guessed it, mime.
- Truth Transformation Ministries.
- The 7th District AME Church in South Carolina
- St. John Missionary Baptist Church
After watching all these I'm so stoked I could fight a bear. I genuinely think they are amazing. They all seem to have been produced by SharperFX who specialise in making websites. Websites for insane churches.
If Chris Morris was to create a Brass Eye Episode about these churches, his parody would be interchangeable with the real thing and no one, on either side, could tell.
And that kinda makes me happy.